Enchanted Garden - SUPPLEMENT: Interview with BERNICE ANGELINE SORGE

 

Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal

Issue 6: Urban Blossoms - Supplement

 

Interview with

BERNICE ANGELINE SORGE


SCV: Who are you and what is your current occupation?

Bernice A.S.: I am a visual artist, writer, art therapist and mother of three sons and six grandchildren. My professional career as painter and printmaker continues.My studio in an old, renovated church.Organic gardening is one of my passions, seed saving and respecting the earth.

Currently I am writing my memoir, publishing a book of poetry with two other poets and working on my second book of haiku.

 

SCV: How did you fall in love with haiku? Since when do you write haiku? How did you begin to learn about it?

BERNICE A.S.: I realize life is filled with Haiku.My mother was a big influence in turning small incidents into poetry or story. But did she know she was a poet? Her life as a shepherd from the age of six endowed her with the ability to find joy in little things and to understand the unconditional forces of nature that are there for us. This my mother gave to me. Joy in the everyday and respect for living creatures.

One day she and I werepicking wildgreens and suddenly she said in her broken English, “a little bug/ crawl on my leg/ where she going? / only God know/.”To me that was an issuing of epigenetics that stayed with me for the rest of my life, a quiet teaching of some sort that I pass on to my children, a way to respond to the world.

It was after a workshop in 2018 that I fell in love with haiku in a conscious way. The famous poem by Basho was on the board. The teacher was smiling, and we only had to write three lines! Thus began my daily haiku walks along the gravel road, swimming in my pond, working in my garden and life in general became a Haiku paradise.

 

SCV: Do you have any mentor? Does your family support you?

BERNICE A.S.: Yes, I had a great mentor for two years who I could go to for advice.  It was she who told me I had enough haiku for a book.My family delights in my poems and my grandchildren have helped me a couple of times to find the essence. They spontaneously haiku around me at times, poking fun.

It is such a wonderful way of life.

 

SCV: Haiku at breakfast, lunch or dinner?Is haiku an appetizer or a consistent meal for you? (does haiku occupy a large part of your time or do you write occasionally?)

BERNICE A.S.: I write every day always alert to the possibility that a Haiku will arrive.Unless nothing happens that I can see! Ha, ha. It means I am not open.

There are periods when Haiku comes to me in streams, many on one day and then nothing.I live in the countryside so there is a lot to experience in the changing seasons and changing habits of the animals and people around me. I always have a pencil and paper on the little table beside my bed at night. Lots of my best Haiku arrive unexpectedly in the middle of the night, keeping me awake me until I write them down.

  

SCV:  When and where do you write the most time? Do you need a special mood to write or do you write anywhere, anytime? What does inspire you?

BERNICE A.S.: I do write anywhere anytime, travelling in the car, walking, swimming in the pond, shopping for groceries, talking to friends or painting with my grandchildren. It is necessary in my life, it makes me feel whole, it reminds me of the Earth and all that it offers. Art is life.

 

SCV:  Do you write any other Japanese poetry species (tanka, senryu, haibunetc), which one?

BERNICE A.S.: I do love Haibun very much. I have written some but have never tried to publish them. I have dabbled in the other techniques mentioned here.

 

SCV: What is the most often kigo you used? What is your favorite season?

BERNICE A.S.: If I do favor a season, it would be spring, but I feel inspired by all the changes of nature in the different seasons and the resultant beautiful chaos.

 

SCV: What is your favorite haiku written by you?

BAS:

blazing hot sun

returning the pond

to the clouds

 

SCV: What is your trademark, what does differentiate the haiku written by you from the others?

What does haiku mean to you?

BERNICE A.S.: I prefer to write Haiku in response to daily life, what’s happening around me, any place, anywhere with no bespoken theme beyond opening to what is before me. Thatway I don’t limit myself to only looking at the topic chosen ahead of time. When I choose my poems for a book, I divide them into the seasons to structure the manuscript.

A Girl with Tangled Hair by Akiko Yosano,” is a favorite book.But there are many that I like.

 

SCV: In which haiku magazine have you been published?

BERNICE A.S.: Enchanted Garden is the only one so far. I have not sent Haiku poetry to any other place yet.

 

SCV: This haiku has been chosen for the column,‘Editor`s Choice’ in Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal,issue 5: Secret Santa, December2023:

 

entryway filled

with boots of every size

family weekend

 

What did inspire you to write such a beautiful haiku? Tell us the backstory.

BERNICE A.S.: When my three sons were in their late teens and able to drive a car, I would get up around 11 pm and check the boots in the entryway to see if they were safely home. When all the boots were there, I could go to sleep.

Since we live a bit isolated in the countryside it is always a happy time when the entry is filled with boots, shoes, coats and all the paraphernalia, the signs the house is filled with family or friends. When the whole family manages to get here at the same time, the entryway is a beautiful disaster and we end up wearing each other’s coats, hats, even boots.

 

SCV: Did you publish any haiku/tanka book? Tell us about it /them (any amazon link).

BERNICE A.S.: My first book of Haiku poetry entitled, Ditch Walker was published in 2021, by Yarrow Press. It is one hundred haiku written one a day on my daily hike along the gravel road, working in the garden or swimming in the pond. There is no Amazon link yet.

I have several published Haiku, Haiku Canada Review several times, a published interview on the website of Pearl Pirieand my book can be ordered from my email address or my website:bernicesorge.ca

There is a review of my book and a mini-interview on this link:

the url is https://pearlpirie.com/mini-interview-bernice-angeline-sorge/ (opens in a new tab)

Book review: Haiku Canada Review, Vol. 16, October 2022, Number 2

The review is available from this page: https://pearlpirie.com/reviews/

 

SCV: What projects do you have for the future?

BERNICE A.S.: I have anotherHaiku book in process, a memoir, a poetry book with two other poets, and a small book of Haibun. Also, I am working on a book of images of my paintings and original prints over a span of forty years.

 

SCV: Where can your readers find you (any social media link)?

BERNICE A.S.:  FB, Instagram, www.bernicesorge.ca, www.leboulevarddesarts.com

I hope to have more social media participation.

  

Interviu cu

BERNICE ANGELINE SORGE

 

SCV: Cine sunteți și care este ocupația dumneavoastră în prezent?

BERNICE A.S.: Sunt artist vizual, scriitor, terapeut prin artă, mamă a trei fii și bunică a șase nepoți. Cariera mea profesională de pictor și gravor continuă. Atelierul meu e într-o biserică veche, renovată. Grădinăritul organic este una dintre pasiunile mele, salvarea semințelor și respectarea Pământului.

În prezent îmi scriu memoriile, public o carte de poezie împreună cu alți doi poeți și lucrez la a doua mea carte de haiku.

 

SCV: Cum v-ați îndrăgostit de haiku? De când scrieți haiku? Cum ați început să învățați despre asta?

BERNICE A.S.: Îmi dau seama că viața este plină de Haiku. Mama mea a avut o mare influență în transformarea micilor incidente în poezie sau poveste. Dar știa ea oare că e poetă? Viața ei de cioban de la vârsta de șase ani a înzestrat-o cu capacitatea de a găsi bucurie în lucrurile mărunte și de a înțelege forțele necondiționate ale naturii care sunt acolo pentru noi. Asta mi-a dat mama. Bucurie în cotidian și respect pentru creaturile vii.

Într-o zi, ea și cu mine culegeam plante sălbatice și, deodată, ea a spus în engleza ei stricată, „un gândăcel / se târăște-te pe piciorul meu/ unde se duce? / Numai Dumnezeu știe/.” Pentru mine, acesta a fost un episod de epigenetică, episod care a rămas cu mine pentru tot restul vieții, o învățătură liniștită de un anumit fel pe care o transmit copiilor mei, o modalitate de a răspunde lumii.

După un atelier din 2018 m-am îndrăgostit de haiku într-un mod conștient. Celebrul poem al lui Basho era pe tablă. Profesorul zâmbea și nu trebuia să scriem decât trei rânduri! Astfel au început plimbările mele zilnice de haiku de-a lungul drumului cu pietriș, înot în iazul meu, lucru în grădina mea și viața în general a devenit un paradis Haiku.

 

SCV: Aveți vreun mentor? Familia vă susține?

BERNICE A.S.: Da, am avut un mentor grozav timp de doi ani, căruia puteam să mă adresez pentru sfaturi. Ea a fost cea care mi-a spus că am destule haiku-uri pentru o carte. Familia mea se bucură de poeziile mele, iar nepoții mei m-au ajutat de câteva ori să găsesc esența. Ei făceau haiku spontan în jurul meu uneori, în joacă.

Este un mod de viață atât de minunat.

 

SCV: Haiku la micul dejun, prânz sau cină? Este haiku un aperitiv sau o masă consistentă pentru dumneavoastră? (Haiku-ul vă ocupă o mare parte din timp sau scrieți ocazional?)

BERNICE A.S.: Scriu în fiecare zi mereu atentă la posibilitatea ca un haiku să sosească. Asta dacă nu se întâmplă nimic din ceea ce pot vedea! Ha, ha. Înseamnă că nu sunt deschisă.

Există perioade în care haiku-ul vine la mine în fluxuri, multe într-o singură zi și apoi nimic. Trăiesc în mediul rural, așa că sunt multe de experimentat în schimbarea anotimpurilor și a obiceiurilor la animale, dar și la oamenii din jurul meu. Am mereu un creion și hârtie pe măsuța de lângă patul meu noaptea. Multe dintre cele mai bune haiku-uri ale mele ajung pe neașteptate în miezul nopții, ținându-mă trează până când le notez.

 

SCV: Când și unde scrieți cel mai mult? Aveți nevoie de o dispoziție specială pentru a scrie sau scrieți oriunde, oricând? Ce vă inspiră?

BERNICE A.S.: Scriu oriunde oricând, călătoresc cu mașina, merg pe jos, înot în iaz, fac cumpărături, vorbesc cu prietenii sau pictează cu nepoții mei. Este necesar în viața mea, mă face să mă simt întreagă, îmi amintește de pământ și de tot ce oferă el. Arta este viață.

 

SCV: Scrieți și alte specii de poezie japoneză (tanka, senryu, haibunetc), care?

BERNICE A.S.: Iubesc foarte mult haibunul. Am scris unele, dar nu am încercat niciodată să le public. Am practicat și celelalte tehnici menționate aici.

 

SCV: Care este cel mai des kigo pe care l-ați folosit? Care este anotimpul dumneavoastră preferat?

BERNICE A.S.: Dacă aș prefera un anotimp anume, acesta ar fi primăvara, dar mă simt inspirată de toate schimbările naturii în diferite anotimpuri și de haosul frumos rezultat.

 

SCV: Care este haiku-ul preferat scris chiar de dumneavoastră?

BAS:

blazing hot sun

returning the pond

to the clouds

 

Română:

soare fierbinte

întorcând iazul

spre nori

 

SCV: Care este marca dumneavoastră, prin ce se diferențiază haiku-ul dumneavoastră, de al celorlalți? Ce înseamnă haiku pentru dumneavoastră?

BERNICE A.S.: Prefer să scriu haiku ca răspuns la viața de zi cu zi, la ceea ce se întâmplă în jurul meu, în orice loc, fără nicio temă personalizată în afară de deschiderea către ceea ce este înaintea mea. În felul acesta, nu mă limitez doar să mă uit la subiectul ales din timp. Când îmi aleg poeziile pentru o carte, le împart pe anotimpuri pentru a structura manuscrisul.

„A Girl with Tangled Hair” de Akiko Yosano este una dintre cărțile preferate. Dar sunt multe care îmi plac.

 

SCV: În ce reviste de haiku ați apărut?

BERNICE A.S.: Enchanted Garden este singura de până acum. Nu am trimis încă haiku în niciun alt loc.

 

SCV: Acest haiku a fost ales pentru rubrica „Alegerea Editorului” din Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal, numărul 5: Secret Santa, decembrie 2023:

 

entryway filled

with boots of every size

family weekend

 

Română:

intrarea plină

cu cizme de toate mărimile

weekend în familie

 

Ce v-a inspirat să scrieți un haiku atât de frumos? Spuneți-ne povestea din spatele lui.

BERNICE A.S.: Când cei trei fii ai mei erau la sfârșitul adolescenței și puteau să conducă o mașină, mă trezeam în jurul orei 23:00 și verificam cizmele de la intrare pentru a vedea dacă erau în siguranță acasă. Când toate cizmele erau acolo, puteam să mă culc la loc.

Din moment ce trăim puțin izolați în mediul rural, este întotdeauna o perioadă fericită când intrarea este plină de cizme, pantofi, paltoane și toate accesoriile, semn că este casa plină cu familia sau prietenii. Când toată familia reușește să ajungă aici în același timp, intrarea este un dezastru frumos și ajungem să purtăm paltoanele, pălăriile, chiar și cizmele unul altuia.

 

SCV: Ați publicat vreo carte de haiku/tanka? Povestiți-ne despre asta /ele (orice link Amazon).

BERNICE A.S.: Prima mea carte de poezie haiku intitulată Ditch Walker a fost publicată în 2021, de Yarrow Press. Sunt o sută de haiku-uri, scrise unul pe zi, în drumeția mea zilnică de-a lungul drumului cu pietriș, lucrând în grădină sau înotând în iaz. Nu există încă un link Amazon.

Am publicat mai multe haiku-uri,  în Haiku Canada Review de mai multe ori, am un interviu publicat pe site-ul lui Pearl Pirie iar cartea mea poate fi comandată de pe adresa mea de e-mail sau de pe site-ul meu: bernicesorge.ca

Există o recenzie a cărții mele și un mini-interviu pe acest link:

https://pearlpirie.com/mini-interview-bernice-angeline-sorge/ (se deschide într-o filă nouă)

Recenzie de carte: Haiku Canada Review, Vol. 16 octombrie 2022, numărul 2

Recenzia este disponibilă aici: https://pearlpirie.com/reviews/

 

SCV: Ce proiecte aveți pentru viitor?

BERNICE A.S.: Am o altă carte haiku în lucru, o carte de memorii, o carte de poezii cu alți doi poeți și o carte mică de haibun. De asemenea, lucrez la o carte de imagini cu picturile mele și printuri originale pe o perioadă de patruzeci de ani.

 

SCV: Unde vă pot găsi cititorii (orice link social media)?

BERNICE A.S.: FB, Instagram, www.bernicesorge.ca, www.leboulevarddesarts.com

Sper să am mai multă participare pe rețelele sociale.

 

*Note:

SCV – abbreviation for Steliana Cristina Voicu, the Editor

BERNICE A.S. – Bernice Angeline Sorge, the Author

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Your comment is appreciate!
Please write your name!
Comments will be moderated by the editor and visibile as soon as possible.