Enchanted Garden SUPPLEMENT: Interview with DAYA BHAT

 

Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal

Issue 6: Urban Blossoms - Supplement

 

Interview with

DAYA BHAT

 


SCV: Who are you and what is your current occupation?

DAYA B.: I am Daya Bhat living in Bangalore, India with my family.

Except for a brief stint in teaching and a couple of jobs related to Electronics and Computer Applications, which are my fields of study, I have been a homemaker. 

 

SCV: How did you fall in love with haiku? Since when do you write haiku? How did you begin to learn about it?

DAYA B.: I started writing poetry at the age of 40, more as a journey to my inner core. It was mainly free verse, until in 2020 I discovered the haiku form on WordPress. It inspired me to read and write more haiku. I am truly grateful to all the enriching online resources, be it The Haiku Foundation, the blogs and personal websites of seasoned haiku poets, or the wonderful haiku journals. I also love attempting the monoku.

  

SCV: Do you have any mentor? Does your family support you?

DAYA B.: There is a definite takeaway from each of the haiku poets I read. In that way they are all my mentors! I am blessed that the global haiku community has been very warm and welcoming. I also look up to the works of the whole bouquet of Indian haiku poets.

My family has always valued my interest in writing and has given me the needed space and time. I owe whatever little of my writing gene to my father who is also a writer and former educator. He, my daughter, and sister lead a huge extended family of supporters. On a lighter note, who doesn’t love and support someone who is peacefully doing her own thing and letting them too be at peace!

  

SCV: Haiku at breakfast, lunch or dinner?Is haiku an appetizer or a consistent meal for you? (does haiku occupy a large part of your time or do you write occasionally?)

DAYA B.: Consistent meal, something I munch on the whole day. There are days when I come up with a whole set of haiku. At times I am without a single haiku in sight for days and days. The most appreciated haiku have come to me without much coaxing. I just give up as soon as I get the hint that it isn’t a haiku day. I did write a lot of haiku initially. It was as if a child had found a new toy. The excitement of submission, acceptance and publication is addictive. Gradually and organically the number has reduced. It now seems like I have run out of that kind of momentum. The storm has gracefully slowed down to a drizzle. 

 

SCV: When and where do you write the most time? Do you need a special mood to write or do you write anywhere, anytime? What does inspire you?

DAYA B.: Generally morning walks are the most productive when I quickly make note on my phone, any inspiration that has the potential to become a haiku. It could be a fleeting sight, sound or thought. Late evening is my favorite time to work on them when all the preening and pruning happens, after which, most times, the tree along with the bird has vanished! But from it all a fresh perspective emerges and even if I have written one haiku it’s a win. Nature inspires me and the philosophy it tries to convey. The next big inspiration is human nature.

  

SCV: Do you write any other japanese poetry species (tanka, senryu, haibun etc), which one?

DAYA B.: I write senryu and haibun too. I love the tanka form though I have written very few. I love haibun as it’s a combination of prose and poetry. Since I have written a few short stories I felt an instant connection. There is scope for a title, narration, and verse. Putting together a good haibun is as intricate and challenging to me as aligning the planets and stars for good fortune! Haiga is what I enjoy most as it combines art and poetry. 

 

SCV: What is the most often kigo you used? What is your favorite season?

DAYA B.: Most of my kigo revolve around the moon. We have such lovely full moon and new moon names to choose from apart from coining our own. I feel poets are the moon’s natural satellites!

I love autumn as it puts me in a reflective mode. My next favorite is monsoon.

  

SCV: What is your favorite haiku written by you?

DAYA B.: I love this haiku as it was written for a very dear person.

 

faraway flute

how the breeze returns

her to me

 

(Haikuniverse, Triya)

  

SCV: What is your trademark, what differentiates the haiku written by you from the others?

What does haiku mean to you?

DAYA B.: I do not know if my haiku reflect a distinct style. But I love the horizon where a haiku meets a senryu. Juxtaposing nature with human nature is what I love the most.

I see haiku as a kaleidoscope. With every pause and turn a new meaning emerges, like how life changes with every sun and season, with every twist and turn. Haiku is a school of thought, a way of life. Every haiku has a bit of the poet woven into it. In all the haiku I love, I feel a strong presence of the poet. This way haiku also becomes the poet’s identity. Whatever I know of it is not even a drop in the ocean.

  

SCV: In which haiku magazine have you been published?

DAYA B.: My haiku and other forms have found homes in many journals that include Triya, Heron’s Nest, Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal, Frogpond, Presence, Cold Moon Journal, Poetry Pea, The Wee Sparrow Poetry Press, Ribbons, Drifting Sands haibun, The Other Bunny, Pan Haiku Review, Scarlet Dragonfly, Stardust Haiku, Failed Haiku, Heliosparrow, Haiku Dialogue, Femku, Modern haiku, Folk ku, Whiptail, Better than starbucks, Black and white Haiga, Fresh out mag, Plum tree Tavern, Take 5ive  and Kontinuum.  I thank the editors of all the wonderful journals, platforms and programs who have published me.

  

SCV: This haiga has been chosen for the column ”Editor`s Choice` in Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal,issue 5: Secret Santa, December2023: 

 

i  n  f  i  n  i  t  y the constant in my wishlist

 

 What inspired you to write such a beautiful haiga? Tell us the story behind it.

DAYA B.: Thank you so much for your kind words and appreciation.

There is a sense of spiritual mystery in the infinity symbol, and I believe we are all tracing an endless  loop of losing and seeking ourselves, crossing our own path a million times. Infinity also means eternity, mysticism, simplicity and balance. At any point in time we are never THERE nor have we ARRIVED anywhere until our end, however much it’s the very purpose of our being. It simply remains as an unchanging and unfulfilled parameter in the wishlist. 

 

SCV: Did you publish any haiku/tanka book? Tell us about it /them (any amazon link).

DAYA B.: No, I haven’t. But my second book of poems is a mix of free verse, short poetry and a few of my early haiku. As of now Instagram is my work in progress which I update regularly.

 

SCV: What projects do you have for the future?

DAYA B.: I wish to continue practicing the Japanese short forms and free verse until I saturate.

 

SCV: Where can  your readers find you (any social media link)?

DAYA B.: I am presently not very active on my blog. I am on Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/poetry.scape/

Thank you so much for the opportunity to share my thoughts with you. Thanks to all fellow poets for being part of my haiku journey.

  

Interviu cu

DAYA BHAT

 

SCV: Cine sunteți și care este ocupația dumneavoastră în prezent?

DAYA B.: Sunt Daya Bhat și locuiesc în Bangalore, India, împreună cu familia mea.

În afară de o scurtă perioadă în care am predat și de câteva locuri de muncă legate în domeniul electronică și calculatoare, care sunt domeniile mele de studiu, am fost casnică.

 

SCV: Cum v-ați îndrăgostit de haiku? De când scrieți haiku? Cum ați început să învățați despre asta?

DAYA B.: Am început să scriu poezie la vârsta de 40 de ani, mai mult ca o călătorie către mine. Am scris în principal vers liber, până când în 2020 am descoperit forma haiku pe WordPress. M-a inspirat să citesc și să scriu mai multe haiku-uri. Sunt cu adevărat recunoscător tuturor resurselor online bogate, fie că este vorba de The Haiku Foundation, blogurile și site-urile web personale ale poeților experimentați în haiku sau minunatele jurnale de haiku. De asemenea, îmi place să încerc monoku.

 

SCV: Aveți vreun mentor? Familia vă susține?

DAYA B.: Există o concluzie clară de la fiecare dintre poeții haiku pe care i-am citit. În felul acesta, toți sunt mentorii mei! Sunt binecuvântată pentru primirea foarte caldă și primitoare în comunitatea globală de haiku. Apreciez și lucrările întregului buchet de poeți indieni de haiku.

Familia mea a apreciat întotdeauna interesul meu pentru scris și mi-a oferit spațiul și timpul necesar. Îi datorez puțin din gena mea pentru scris tatălui meu, care este și scriitor și fost educator. El, fiica mea și sora mea conduc o familie extinsă de susținători. Acuma, cine nu iubește și nu sprijină pe cineva care își face treaba în pace și îi lasă și pe ei să fie în pace!

 

SCV: Haiku la micul dejun, prânz sau cină? Este haiku un aperitiv sau o masă consistentă pentru dumneavoastră? (Haiku-ul vă ocupă o mare parte din timp sau scrieți ocazional?)

DAYA B.: Mâncare consistentă, ceva ce mănânc toată ziua. Sunt zile când vin cu un set întreg de haiku. Alteori nu scriu un haiku zile la rând. Cele mai apreciate haiku-uri au venit pentru mine fără prea multe convingeri. Renunț doar atunci când îmi dau seama că nu este o zi bună de scris haiku. Am scris o mulțime de haiku inițial. Parcă un copil ar fi găsit o jucărie nouă. Emoția înscrierii, acceptării și publicării creează dependență. Treptat și organic numărul s-a redus. Acum se pare că am rămas fără acest tip de impuls. Furtuna a încetinit cu grație până la o burniță.

 

SCV: Când și unde scrieți cel mai mult? Aveți nevoie de o dispoziție specială pentru a scrie sau scrieți oriunde, oricând? Ce vă inspiră?

DAYA B.: În general, plimbările de dimineață sunt cele mai productive atunci când notez rapid pe telefon orice inspirație care are potențialul de a deveni un haiku. Ar putea fi o vedere, un sunet sau un gând trecător. Seara târzie este momentul meu preferat să lucrez la ele, când au loc toate tăierile și șlefuirile, după care, de cele mai multe ori, copacul împreună cu pasărea au dispărut! Dar din toate acestea reiese o perspectivă nouă și chiar dacă am scris doar un haiku, tot este o victorie. Natura mă inspiră și filozofia încearcă să o transmită. Următoarea mare inspirație este natura umană.

 

SCV: Scrieți și alte specii de poezie japoneză (tanka, senryu, haibunetc), care?

DAYA B.: Scriu și senryu și haibun. Îmi place forma tanka, deși am scris foarte puține. Îmi place haibunul deoarece este o combinație de proză și poezie. De când am scris câteva povestiri am simțit o conexiune instantanee. Există spațiu pentru un titlu, o narațiune și un vers. A pune cap la cap un haibun bun este la fel de complicat și provocator pentru mine ca alinierea planetelor și stelelor pentru noroc! Haiga este ceea ce îmi place cel mai mult, deoarece combină arta și poezia.

 

SCV: Care este cel mai des kigo pe care l-ați folosit? Care este anotimpul dumneavoastră preferat?

DAYA B.: Kigo-ul cel mai des folosit se învârte în jurul lunii. Avem astfel de nume minunate de lună plină și lună nouă din care să alegem, în afară de a le inventa pe ale noastre. Simt că poeții sunt sateliții naturali ai lunii!

Îmi place toamna pentru că mă pune într-o stare de meditație. Următorul meu favorit este musonul.

 

SCV: Care este haiku-ul preferat scris chiar de dumneavoastră?

DAYA B.: Îmi place acest haiku, deoarece a fost scris pentru o persoană foarte dragă.

 

faraway flute

how the breeze returns

her to me

 

flaut îndepărtat

cum îl întoarce briza

pentru mine

 

(Haikuniverse, Triya)

 

SCV: Care este marca dumneavoastră, prin ce se diferențiază haiku-ul dumneavoastră, de al celorlalți? Ce înseamnă haiku pentru dumneavoastră?

DAYA B.: Nu știu dacă haiku-ul meu reflectă un stil distinct. Dar îmi place orizontul în care un haiku se întâlnește cu un senryu. Juxtapunerea naturii cu natura umană este ceea ce îmi place cel mai mult.

Eu văd haiku-ul ca pe un caleidoscop. Cu fiecare pauză și întorsătură apare un nou sens, cum ar fi modul în care viața se schimbă cu fiecare soare și anotimp, cu fiecare răsucire și cotitură. Haiku este o școală de gândire, un mod de viață. Fiecare haiku are un pic din poet țesut în el. În toate haiku-urile pe care le iubesc, simt o prezență puternică a poetului. În acest fel, haiku-ul devine și identitatea poetului. Orice știu despre el nu este nici măcar o picătură în ocean.

  

SCV: În ce reviste de haiku ați apărut?

DAYA B.: Haiku-ul meu și alte forme și-au găsit casa în multe reviste care include Triya, Heron’s Nest, Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal, Frogpond, Presence, Cold Moon Journal, Poetry Pea, The Wee Sparrow Poetry Press, Ribbons, Drifting Sands haibun, The Other Bunny, Pan Haiku Review, Scarlet Dragonfly, Stardust Haiku, Failed Haiku, Heliosparrow, Haiku Dialogue, Femku, Modern haiku, Folk ku, Whiptail, Better than starbucks, Black and white Haiga, Fresh out mag, Plum tree Tavern, Take 5ive  and Kontinuum.  Mulțumesc editorilor tuturor revistelor și platformelor minunate care m-au publicat.

 

SCV: Această haiga a fost aleasă pentru rubrica „Alegerea editorului” din Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal, numărul 5: Secret Santa, decembrie 2023: 

i  n  f  i  n  i  t  y the constant in my wishlist

 

Kannada:

   ನಂ      ತೆ    ನನ್ನ ಮನೋಕಾಮನೆಗಳೊಳಗೆ ಒಂದು ಶಾಶ್ವತ

 

  Română:

i  n  f  i  n  i  t  u  l constanta din lista mea de dorințe

 

Ce v-a inspirat să scrieți o haiga atât de frumoasă? Spuneți-ne povestea din spatele ei.

DAYA B.:  Vă mulțumesc foarte mult pentru cuvintele frumoase și pentru apreciere.

Există un sentiment de mister spiritual în simbolul infinitului și cred că toți urmărim o buclă nesfârșită de pierdere și căutare pentru noi înșine, traversând propria noastră cale de un milion de ori. Infinitul înseamnă și eternitate, misticism, simplitate și echilibru. În orice moment, nu suntem niciodată AICI și nici nu am ajuns NICĂIERI până la sfârșitul nostru, oricare ar fi scopul ființei noastre. Pur și simplu rămâne ca un parametru neschimbat și neîmplinit în lista de dorințe.

  

SCV: Ați publicat vreo carte de haiku/tanka? Povestiți-ne despre asta /ele (orice link Amazon).

DAYA B.: Nu. Dar a doua mea carte de poezii este un amestec de versuri libere, poezie scurtă și câteva dintre haiku-urile mele timpurii. Începând de acum, pagina mea de Instagram este munca mea în desfășurare, pe care o actualizez în mod regulat.

 

SCV: Ce proiecte aveți pentru viitor?

DAYA B.: Îmi doresc să continui să exersez formele scurte japoneze și versurile libere până când mă voi sătura de ele.

 

SCV: Unde vă pot găsi cititorii (orice link social media)?

DAYA B.: În prezent nu sunt foarte activ pe blogul meu. Sunt pe Instagram @poetry.scape

Vă mulțumesc foarte mult pentru oportunitatea de a vă împărtăși gândurile mele. Mulțumesc tuturor colegilor poeți pentru că au făcut parte din călătoria mea haiku.

   

* Abbreviation note:

SCV – Steliana Cristina Voicu, the Editor

Daya B. – Daya Bhat, the Author

Comments