Enchanted Garden Supplement: Interview with SUE COURTNEY

 

Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal

Issue 6: Urban Blossoms - Supplement

 

Interview with

 Sue courtney

 


SCV: Who are you and what is your currently occupation?

Sue C.: I’m Sue Courtney and I live beside a tidal estuary in Orewa, a seaside suburb of Auckland, New Zealand. I am now retired after working as a computer programmer / analyst, then as a geology technician for a ten year change of scene, then back to being a business analyst. I also dabbled in a little wine writing.

 

SCV: How did you fall in love with haiku? Since when do you write haiku? How did you begin to learn about it?

SUE C.: I fell in love with haiku in 2004 when two lovely ladies from The Japan Society in Auckland gave a haiku workshop to my writing group. They talked about traditional Japanese haiku and gave examples with English translations, and we dabbled with writing contemporary haiku and haiga. They explained that haiku in English did not have to be in strict syllable form. But no-one in the writing group was really interested in continuing to write haiku, so without having anyone to haiku with I sadly shelved the poetic form away. 

Then, in 2012, Haiku Aotearoa happened and I met many wonderful haiku poets from around New Zealand and special guest Jim Kacian from the USA.

I had a haiku selected for the New Zealand Poetry Society Anthology in 2013, but I again shelved haiku away as my husband was dying of cancer and after he died I wrote longer poems and non-fiction. I came back to haiku in 2018 and another poem was selected for that year’s NZPS anthology and also for Number Eight Wire, the fourth New Zealand Haiku Anthology, published in 2019.

 

SCV: Do you have any mentor? Does your family support you?

SUE C.: I never had a formal mentor. There were no haiku groups in Auckland so I borrowed books from the library.I studied the works in the New Zealand haiku anthologies, and two books in particular, Parts of the Moon by New Zealander John O’Connor and Haiku World by William J Higginson with seasonal haiku from all over the world, guided me.As well there were the Haiku pages on the NZPS website curated by Sandra Simpson – these pages are a tremendous and valuable resource for all haiku poets. Then, when lockdown happened, my haiku world changed. I went to haiku conferences and workshops all over the world without leaving my house and I discovered a myriad of resources on the web, particularly The Haiku Foundation website, and joined Facebook haiku groups. In 2021 I eventually gained enough confidence to send my haiku beyond NZPS, first to THF’s Haiku Dialogue and then to international journals, and to my surprise I had acceptances. I guess the editors, by accepting or not accepting my work, were my mentors. 

I live alone now, but at Haiku North America in 2021 on Zoom someone suggested a ‘down under’ haiku conference and I put my hand up to be part of the team.  After Haiku Down Under 2022, a few of the people started a Zoom workshop group and I am part of that.  I like to think we support each other in our haiku journeys.

  

SCV: Haiku at breakfast, lunch or dinner? Is haiku an appetizer or a consistent meal for you? (does haiku occupies a large part of your time or do you write occasionally?)

SUE C.: Haiku is a constant meal for me because haiku inspiration can happen any time but I have to get the words down before I forget them. I like that I can ask Siri to take a note if a haiku happens while I am driving. It’s a bit harder when I am cycling so I have to repeat it over and over in my head until I get it into my Notes app on my phone.

 

SCV: When and where do you write the most time? Do you need a special mood to write or do you write anywhere, anytime? What does inspire you?

SUE C.: Most of my inspiration comes from the moment. This could be any time of day or night. That said, I do love dawn and dusk, sunrises and sunsets, golden hours and blue hours.

 

SCV: Do you write any other japanese poetry species (tanka, senryu, haibun etc), which one?

SUE C.: I own a copy of The Penguin Book of Japanese Verse and have tried to write tanka. I have had one of two tanka I submitted published in the Australian journal Eucalypt, but I much prefer haiku.

 

SCV: What is the most often kigo you used? What is your favorite season?

SUE C.: I love all the seasons. Each season has something to write about. I try to not use the same kigo over and over, or maybe write it in a different way.

 

SCV: What is your favorite haiku written by you?

SUE C.: night migration the moon and the moon and the moon

-- published in Whiptail 2 

The eastern bar-tailed godwits that migrate to and from New Zealand each year inspired this haiku. A godwit called E7 was fitted with a transmitter and enlightened researchers that the journey south from their breeding grounds in the Alaskan tundra is non-stop over 8-10 days, and they flap their wings all the way. This is the most incredible journey of any migratory bird, and I am so lucky that a small flock spend their southern summer sojourn in my local estuary.

 

SCV: What is your trademark, what does differentiate the haiku written by you from the others?

What does haiku means to you?

SUE C.: I am not sure what is my trademark or differentiation.

Haiku means a lot to me.It is my meditation, my mindfulness, and part of my overall well-being. I love that I can read a haiku I’ve written and I can remember where I was or what inspired the words. My haiku are like a diary, a snapshot of my life.I also enjoy reading haiku by others, especially those that stir my emotions and transport me into their space or another place.

  

SCV:  In which haiku magazine have you been published?

SUE C.:  

a fine line (the journal of The New Zealand Poetry Society),

Enchanted Garden,

Whiptail,

Autumn Moon,

The Heron’s Nest,

Frogpond,

Prune Juice,

Failed Haiku,

Blōō Outlier Journal,

Pan Haiku Review,

haikuNetra,

LEAF – Journal of The Daily Haiku,

Chrysanthemum,

Stardust

 

SCV: This haiku has been chosen for the column ”Editor`s Choice` in Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal, issue 4: Sparkles, October 2023:

 

still falling rain . . .

the tang of lemon

in my tea

 

What did inspire you to write such a beautiful haiku? Tell us the story behind it.

SUE C.: In 2023 we had a lot of rain in Auckland. It seemed to rain for most of the year. I learnt the term ‘atmospheric river’ and we had tropical ex-cyclones battering us as well. Then, in the winter(June / July), the lemons on my tree outside my kitchen window ripened. Such beautiful radiant globes of yellow brightness in the rainy grey gloom.I do love the tang of citrus and the haiku just happened, right there, in my kitchen, making tea.

 

SCV: Did you publish any haiku/tanka book? Tell us about it /them (any amazon link).

SUE C.: No I haven’t.

 

SCV: What projects do you have for the feature?

SUE C.: Sometime in the future I may publish some of my haiku in a book together with my photographs and artwork, but I need to write a lot more that I feel are good enough to be included. It would be nature based, featuring godwits of course, and other birds, and the beaches that I love to walk on, and the places I love to go bird-watching, and the changes that the seasons bring.

 

SCV: Where does your readers can find you (any social media link)?

SUE C.: I have a website s-sense.nz where I post my published haiku, and maybe one or two unpublished works. My facebook page is @SueCourtneyWriter.

  

Interviu cu

Sue Courtney

 

SCV: Cine sunteți și care este ocupația dumneavoastră în prezent?

SUE C.: Sunt Sue Courtney și locuiesc lângă un estuar în Orewa, o suburbie de pe litoralul din Auckland, Noua Zeelandă. Acum sunt pensionară după ce am lucrat ca programator/analist, apoi ca tehnician în geologie vreme de 10 ani ca o schimbare de carieră, apoi am revenit la analist de afaceri. De asemenea, am cocheta puțin cu scrisul despre vin.

 

SCV: Cum v-ați îndrăgostit de haiku? De când scrieți haiku? Cum ați început să învățați despre asta?

SUE C.: M-am îndrăgostit de haiku în 2004, când două doamne drăguțe de la Societatea Japoneză din Auckland au oferit un atelier de haiku grupului meu de scris. Au vorbit despre haiku tradițional japonez și au dat exemple cu traduceri în engleză, iar noi ne-am încumetat să scriem haiku și haiga contemporane. Ei au explicat că haiku-ul în engleză nu trebuie să fie în formă strictă ca număr de silabe. Dar nimeni din grupul de scriere nu a fost cu adevărat interesat să continue să scrie haiku, așa că, fără a avea cu cine să scriu, din păcate, am lăsat deoparte acest tip de poezie. 

Apoi, în 2012, a avut loc Haiku Aotearoa și am întâlnit mulți poeți minunați de haiku din Noua Zeelandă și invitatul special Jim Kacian din SUA. 

Am avut un haiku selectat pentru Antologia Societății de Poezie din Noua Zeelandă în 2013, dar am renunțat din nou la haiku, deoarece soțul meu era pe moarte de cancer și, după ce a murit, am scris poezii mai lungi și non-ficțiune. M-am întors la haiku în 2018 și o altă poezie a fost selectată pentru antologia NZPS din acel an și, de asemenea, pentru Number Eight Wire, a patra Antologie Haiku din Noua Zeelandă, publicată în 2019.

 

SCV: Aveți vreun mentor? Familia vă susține?

SUE C.: Nu am avut niciodată un mentor oficial. Nu existau grupuri de haiku în Auckland, așa că am împrumutat cărți de la bibliotecă. Am studiat lucrările din antologiile de haiku din Noua Zeelandă și, în special, două cărți, „Parts of the Moon” de neozeelandezul John O'Connor și „Haiku World” de William J Higginson cu haiku sezonier din toată lumea, acestea m-au ghidat. De asemenea, au existat paginile Haiku de pe site-ul web NZPS al cărei curator era Sandra Simpson – aceste pagini sunt o resursă extraordinară și valoroasă pentru toți poeții haiku. Apoi, când a venit pandemia, lumea mea de haiku s-a schimbat. Am mers la conferințe și ateliere de haiku din întreaga lume fără a părăsi casa mea și am descoperit o multitudine de resurse pe internet, în special site-ul The Haiku Foundation, și m-am alăturat grupurilor de haiku de pe Facebook. În 2021, în cele din urmă, am câștigat suficientă încredere pentru a-mi trimite haiku-ul dincolo de NZPS, mai întâi la Haiku Dialogue de la THF și apoi la reviste internaționale, iar spre surprinderea mea am primit acceptări. Bănuiesc că editorii, acceptând sau nu munca mea, au fost cumva mentorii mei. 

Locuiesc singură acum, dar la Haiku America de Nord în 2021, pe Zoom, cineva mi-a sugerat o conferință de haiku „pentru țările de jos” (n.e. țările din Emisfera Sudică) și am ridicat mâna ca să fac parte din echipă. După Haiku Down Under 2022, câțiva dintre oameni au pus bazele unui grup pe Zoom și eu fac parte din acesta. Îmi place să cred că ne sprijinim reciproc în călătoriile noastre haiku.

 

SCV:  Haiku la micul dejun, prânz sau cină? Este haiku un aperitiv sau o masă consistentă pentru dumneavoastră? (Haiku-ul vă ocupă o mare parte din timp sau scrieți ocazional?)

SUE C.: Haiku este o masă constantă pentru mine, deoarece inspirația pentru haiku se poate întâmpla oricând, dar trebuie să notez cuvintele înainte de a le uita. Îmi place că îi pot cere lui Siri (n.e. asistentul virtual din aplicația telefonului) să scrie o notă dacă îmi vine în minte un haiku în timp ce conduc. Este puțin mai greu când merg cu bicicleta, așa că trebuie să o repet din nou și din nou în minte până când intru în aplicația Notes de pe telefon.

 

SCV: Când și unde scrieți cel mai mult? Aveți nevoie de o dispoziție specială pentru a scrie sau scrieți oriunde, oricând? Ce vă inspiră?

SUE C.: Cea mai mare parte a inspirației mele vine din moment. Aceasta poate fi în orice moment din zi sau din noapte. Acestea fiind spuse, iubesc zorile și amurgul, răsăriturile și apusurile, orele aurii și orele albastre.

 

SCV: Scrieți și alte specii de poezie japoneză (tanka, senryu, haibunetc), care?

SUE C.: Dețin o copie a The Penguin Book a versurilor japoneze și am încercat să scriu tanka. Am avut una dintre cele două tanka pe care le-am trimis, publicată în jurnalul australian Eucalypt, dar prefer haiku.

 

SCV: Care este cel mai des kigo pe care l-ați folosit? Care este anotimpul dumneavoastră preferat?

SUE C.: Iubesc toate anotimpurile. Fiecare sezon are ceva despre care să scrii. Încerc să nu folosesc același kigo iar și iar, sau poate să-l scriu într-un mod diferit.

 

SCV: Care este haiku-ul preferat scris chiar de dumneavoastră?

SUE C.: migrație nocturnă luna și iar luna și iar luna

-- publicat în Whiptail 2 

Sitarii de mal estici care migrează în și din Noua Zeelandă în fiecare an au inspirat acest haiku. Un sitar pe nume E7 a fost echipat cu un transmițător și i-a ajutat pe cercetători să afle despre călătoria sitarilor spre sud din zonele lor de reproducere din tundra din Alaska, o călătorie fără opriri, vreme de 8-10 zile în care bat din aripi până la capăt. Acestă călătorie este incredibilă pentru oricare păsăre migratoare și sunt atât de norocoasă că un stol mic își petrece șederea pe timp de vară în sud chiar în estuarul meu local.

 

SCV: Care este marca dumneavoastră, prin ce se diferențiază haiku-ul dumneavoastră, de al celorlalți? Ce înseamnă haiku pentru dumneavoastră?

SUE C.: Nu sunt sigură care este marca mea comercială sau diferențierea mea.

Haiku înseamnă foarte mult pentru mine. Este meditația mea, atenția mea și o parte din bunăstarea mea generală. Îmi place că pot citi un haiku pe care l-am scris și îmi pot aminti unde am fost sau ce a inspirat cuvintele. Haiku-ul meu este ca un jurnal, un instantaneu al vieții mele. De asemenea, îmi place să citesc haiku-ul altora, în special cele care îmi trezesc emoțiile și mă transportă în spațiul lor sau în alt loc.

 

SCV: În ce revistă de haiku ați apărut?

SUE C.:

a fine line (un jurnal al Societății de Poezie din Noua Zealandă),

Enchanted Garden,

Whiptail,

Autumn Moon,

The Heron’s Nest,

Frogpond,

Prune Juice,

Failed Haiku,

Blōō Outlier Journal,

Pan Haiku Review,

haikuNetra,

LEAF – Journal of The Daily Haiku,

Chrysanthemum,

Stardust

 

SCV: Acest haiku a fost ales pentru rubrica „Alegerea editorului” din Enchanted Garden Haiku Journal, numărul 4: Sparkles, octombrie 2023:

 

still falling rain . . .

the tang of lemon

in my tea

 

încă mai plouă. . .

gustul acrișor al lămâii

în ceaiul meu

 

Ce v-a inspirat să scrieți un haiku atât de frumos? Spuneți-ne povestea din spatele lui.

SUE C.: În 2023 a plouat mult în Auckland. A părut că ploua aproape tot timpul anului. Am învățat termenul „râu atmosferic” și am avut și foști cicloni tropicali care ne loveau. Apoi, în timpul iernii (iunie/iulie), lămâiul de afară de la geamul bucătăriei s-a copt. Globuri așa de frumoase de un galben strălucitor în cenușiul ploii. Îmi place foarte mult aroma de citrice și haiku-ul mi-a venit pe loc, chiar acolo, în bucătărie, făcând ceai.

 

SCV: Ați publicat vreo carte de haiku/tanka? Povestiți-ne despre asta /ele (orice link Amazon).

SUE C.: Nu.

 

SCV: Ce proiecte aveți pentru viitor?

SUE C.: Sometime in the future I may publish some of my haiku in a book together with my photographs and artwork, but I need to write a lot more that I feel are good enough to be included. It would be nature based, featuring godwits of course, and other birds, and the beaches that I love to walk on, and the places I love to go bird-watching, and the changes that the seasons bring.

 

SCV: Unde vă pot găsi fanii (orice link social media)?

SUE C.: Am un site web https://sites.google.com/view/s-senze

unde postez haiku-urile publicate de mine și poate una sau două lucrări nepublicate. Pagina mea de Facebook este @SueCourtneyWriter.

 

 

* Abbreviation note:

SCV – Steliana Cristina Voicu, the Editor

SUE C. – Sue Courtney, the Author


Comments